Take A Mom's Word For It

Saturday, March 20, 2010

I Am Not A Baker

I am not a baker. But there was once a time in my life when I dabbled. I enjoyed baking - the process of turning something from nothing. That time in my life was clearly pre-kidlings. I remember those days... waking at 10am, showering (and shaving!) at my leisure, purchasing things on a whim... Now, I consider myself ahead of the game if I have a plan for dinner before 5pm rolls around never mind finding the time to bake something that doesn't come from a tub (yay for McMillian's ready made cookie dough!).

This past week was March Break and I had big plans for my daughters and I to bake cookies from, you guessed it... scratch! BUT, the weather turned out to be so fantastic we didn't spend much time indoors (could global warming be all that bad?!... just sayin'). Today on the other hand was one of those cool, windy, don't really wanna leave the house kind of days.

I decided to wait till my youngest was asleep only because I figured my 4 year olds would get more out of the experience when their little sister's not clamoring for top spot at the counter. Because I'm not a baker - did I mention that?! We used the recipe that was on the back of the chocolate chip package.




My girls did a fantastic job working together and I really enjoyed doing it. We may just need to bake again sometime soon ;)

... they turned out great!!


9 comments:

Monica said...

Yes, they did turn out great! They were delicious!! You can bring over cookies ANYTIME! =)

Heather said...

I too am a baking dabbler! I love having my toddler help me ;) Following your blog now, and look forward to reading more!

http://www.gerberdaysblog.com

♥Yaya's Mommy ♥ said...

following you back. It is never to late for a Friday Follow. :) Thank you so much for stopping by. :)

Happy Mom! said...

Following you back via Friday follow.
I love to bake with the kids also,but oh man it is a lot of work and patience in this house to get it done!! It has to be just the right day for me to tackle it :)

Carol said...

Baby steps, that's all it takes with baking! Thanks for entering my giveaway! I'm following you back!

Jill said...

What a cute blog you have here! Looking forward to seeing more :)
-Jill

Kathleen W. said...

I can so relate to the waking up late and being leisurely about things before kids. Though I occassionally bake, most times we go without sweets due to my laziness/business.

Your cookies came out great!

Also, you asked me about sewing party favors: I'm making matchbox car cozies, like in this tutorial.
http://mygratitudeattitudes.blogspot.com/2009/09/car-cozie-tutorial-and-etsy-re.html
They were surprisingly easy to do, and I think the kids and parents will like them. I'm going to post some photos after the party. Some of my friends read my blog so I didn't want the surprise to be ruined. :)

D said...

My kids enjoy cooking with me. They even have cute"Chef" hats!
Following your lovely blog from Canadian Mom Blog Network.

Deanna
http://www.moneysavingmomcanada.com/

Mommie Daze said...

So fun! I love baking cookies with my son. Following back from Friday Follow.